Do you want to study the Bible? This Bible program I have created can help with that. It contains thousands of Bible verses grouped by subject. Not all Bible verses are included, but the ones that are most often brought up. There are most quotes from the letters of the New Testament, approximately 95% of the verses. There are not as many quotes from the others books of the Bible. On the other hand, some verses may appear in more than one context.
The main purpose of the Bible program is for us to become acquainted with the Word of God and learn it better. Often we have a superficial understanding of the whole subject, and we do not remember where about each matter has been written in the Bible. Paul wrote: “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly” (Col 3:16) and “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Rom 10:17), so it is important that we learn the word of Christ. We must strive to pray more, but it is also useful to study and meditate on the Bible. This Bible program is a good aid to every preacher and every Bible scholar.
One well-known and hard-working student of the Word was the well-known preacher D.L. Moody. He was a man of prayer, but he learned that the Word is the seed that gives birth to faith. He learned it through Henry Moorehouse when he preached the Word, bringing out its riches. Moody’s biography tells how Moody experienced a change in his life and learned the meaning of the Word:
Moody… As we look deeper at his innermost and follow the beating of his spiritual life, we can see that he, before all, was a humble and devoted prayer.
(...) In order to become an useful instrument of God, Moody also needed a special Bible awakening.
In 1867 he had been on a campaign tour for a few days. After coming home to Chicago, he went to the church on a Sunday morning so that he could hear the guest, from England, speaking.
This guest, the preacher Henry Moorehouse, had come to the city as Moody was elsewhere, and had spoken to the audience first time on Thursday evening.
(...) On Sunday evening, there was a meeting in the church again. Moorehouse spoke again about the same subject and carried away the hearers.
- My heart started to melt, tells Moody, - and I was not able to hold my tears.
For the whole week, Moorehouse spoke about the same text every evening by still drawing riches like from an unfailing, effervescent, fresh source. On the last evening, he finished his speech with the following words:
- If I were to die tomorrow night and go to heaven and meet the angel Gabriel, who stands in front of the face of God, and ask him how much God has loved the sinners, I think that he would answer: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
After all the meetings Moorehouse said to Moody:
- Hear, Moody, you are sailing astray!
- What do I have to do? How should the Bible be studied so that its sources would be opened to me in its all riches?
- If you change your course and preach to people the Word of God instead of your own thoughts, you can become a powerful instrument of God.
He also gave Moody direct pieces of advice and instructions which Moody humbly received. It was a new turn in his life again. He became an eager Bible student. And now, his preaching was based wholly on the Word of the Bible and got whole new content.
- I used to preach, he told about this turning point of his life, - that God stands behind a sinner with a double-edged sword in His hand, ready to cut the sinner down. I no longer speak in that way. Now I preach that God stands behind a sinner, loving and having mercy, and it is the sinner, who wants to run away this God of love. (Yrjö Karilas: Sytyttävän sanoman mies, p. 51, 82-84)