Is Christianity telling the truth?
Observations in nature, historical sources, archeology, and prophecies in the Jews suggest the reliability of the Christian faith and the Bible
This text will discuss Christianity and its accuracy. Christianity is based on the words and personality of Jesus, but there are many other things to consider, like the reliability of the Bible. These days the Bible has been under fire and many have questioned the rationality of Christianity, but are these doubts called for? We are going to look into these questions.
1. The beginning of everything refers to the Creator
When investigating the reliability of the Bible, its first chapter talking about creation and how God created the heavens and the earth is a good place to start. It all happened in one moment. Some verses of the New Testament also refer to creation:
- (Gen 1:1) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
- (Matt 19:4) And he answered and said to them, Have you not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
- (Rom 1:20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse
- (Eph 3:9) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world has been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
- (Rev 4:11) You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for you have created all things, and for your pleasure they are and were created.
- (Rev 10:5,6) And the angel which I saw stand on the sea and on the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,
6 And swore by him that lives for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer
- (Rev 14:7) Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
Creation is said to be one of the most essential things in the Bible. If it isn’t true, and God is not the Creator, we should doubt everything else from the Bible too, like the role of Jesus, God being the judge of everything and everyone being accountable to Him.
What about the accuracy of the former verse? Do naturalist scientists affirm this verse as true? No, they don’t, but they do acknowledge the fact that the world has had a beginning. They have come to this conclusion through logical reasoning. They know the following facts, which all support the idea of a beginning:
• Stars cannot be everlasting, because they are still functioning. If they had always existed for an infinite amount of time their energy sources would have run out already. They would be dark. The universe would be at a state of heath death if it were infinite. The fact that stars still radiate light, suggests that they have had a beginning.
• It is the same with the Sun as with stars. It cannot have existed forever. Otherwise its energy sources would have run out already, like wood burns out in fire. There must have been an initial moment at some point, when it began to radiate light and warmth into space.
• Life on earth cannot be eternal, because the Sun hasn’t always existed either. Life here is dependent on the Sun, and without it, the temperature would be almost -273 degrees. No known life-form could survive in such conditions.
That is to say, with logical thinking we can come to a conclusion that the universe has had a beginning. It also applies to the Sun and life on our planet. Scientists must acknowledge that the universe, the Sun and life here on earth cannot be everlasting. They aren’t denying this, because they don’t have any other option.
The following quotations will bring up the same conclusion that everything has a beginning. They show how heath theories force us to either believe that the world was created at a certain moment in time, or that the laws of nature have been different in the past. It is all about the beginning of this world:
Arthur Eddington (an English astrophysicist in the 1930’s): When we go back in time, we will come to a more and more organised world. Finally, we will come to a moment where all materials and energy are as organised as can be. We cannot go beyond this point. We have come to a point in time and space that cannot be crossed, and that can only be described by the word "beginning" (...) To me, it is completely natural to accept the conclusion that the current natural science offers for the future – the heat death of the universe. (1)
William Jevons (an English philosopher in the 1870s): We cannot trace the heat history of the universe too far into the past. At some point, we will get impossible results referring to such heat distributions, which cannot, according to the laws of nature, come from any preceding distribution. (...) The theory concerning heat forces us either to believe that the world has been created at a certain moment, or that the laws of nature have been different at an earlier point in time. (2)
What are the alternatives regarding what might have caused our existence? There aren’t many: either everything was created by God, or everything came to be by itself. If we look at the naturalist Big Bang alternative, we can see some issues with it, and we shouldn’t immediately believe naturalists scientists’ claims just because they’re scientists. They might make mistakes and sometimes even forget common sense. They should be able to provide us a proper explanation to these two things:
• How did a “pin” generate much larger things and life? Firstly, scientists should be able to tell us how everything we know today, like rocks, cliffs, mosquitoes, trees, fish and the seas, planets, billion stars, birds and humans, could come from the Big Bang, which is believed to have began from a pin-sized, or even smaller, space (the idea of a pin has been brought up in publications regarding the Big Bang theory). Since the naturalistic theory presumes that everything began from a pin-sized space in the Big Bang, I wonder how a tiny “pin” could have transformed into living beings or into anything that exists. Do scientists these days believe that when they hold a pin, that pin alone can generate diverse life-forms, billion stars, galaxies, planets, cliffs and other material things? We can reflect on these things, but I guess it’s not too far off to say that believing in this kind of theory throws common sense out of the window. Wouldn’t it be easier to believe that everything was created by God? The following statements from the Romans and the Corinthians give us good perspective on the matter:
- (Room 1:20-22) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
- (1 Cor 1:20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
• How did hydrogen gas turn into living beings? Secondly, scientists should explain to us, how hydrogen gas could have turn into humans, birds, the Sun, ants, flies, worms, bananas, elephants, or into a tree by itself. That is, since the naturalistic theory claims that there was only hydrogen gas after the Big Bang in the beginning, has anyone witnessed hydrogen gas going through such drastic changes? Has hydrogen gas turned into living beings in the past or in the present day? Isn’t it scientifically observed that such things won’t happen? Substances can, of course, turn into solid, liquid and gas when subjected to temperature changes, but that is all that can happen. This is a scientific observation and factual science. But if scientists know of a converse observation, where hydrogen gas has transformed itself into living beings, they should let everyone know about it. If not, they are telling lies and fabrications. For example, Paul wrote about a time that would come, when people turn away from the truth and start believing in lies. Isn’t this exactly what’s happening with naturalistic theories about the beginning of the world and life?
- (2 Tim 4:3,4) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned to fables.
Many secular scientists have admitted that the Big Bang theory does contradict practical observations. Taking these comments into consideration, we find their explanations regarding the beginning of the universe empty. It seems that for them it’s difficult to acknowledge the logical option that everything could have been created by God. That is, since anything that has a beginning, must also have its creator (external), why would the universe be any different? Something that doesn’t exist cannot create itself. This has been practically observed and is real science.
As an old cosmologist, I see the current observational data repealing theories about the beginning of the universe, and also the many theories about the beginning of the Solar System. (H. Bondi, Letter, 87 New Scientist 611 / 1980)
There has been considerably little discussion about the possibility of the Big Bang theory… many of the observations that conflict it are explained through numerous unfounded assumptions or they are simply ignored. (nobelisti [nobelist] H. Alfven, Cosmic Plasma 125 / 1981)
David Berlinski: ”It is pointless to argue that something comes into existence out of nothing, when any given mathematician understands this to be complete nonsense” (Ron Rosenbaum: ”Is the Big Bang Just a Big Hoax? David Berlinski Challenges Everyone.” New York Observer 7.7.1998)
LIFE. If we look at the first chapter of the Bible, it not only mentions the creation of abiotic universe, but also the creation of life. God created life, which explains its occurrence on earth.
How do naturalist scientists feel about this? They don’t believe in the Bible, of course. Instead, they might claim that life began by itself in some warm puddle or in the ocean.
However, that is merely a suggestion with no scientific evidence. People believe in it, despite it having no practical evidence. The more research they’ve put in this matter, the more difficult it has become for them to explain it. Naturalistic theory assumes matter has these supernatural qualities, which is doesn’t really have. That is why it is astonishing that many of them deny any miracles the Bible mentions, but at the same time believe in fairytale theories, where dead matter brings about life on its own. They believe in miracles without a miracle maker, which is rather illogical. It would be much more logical if there was someone who did all these miraculous things. It is not crazy to think creation of life depicted in the Bible would be true, because only life can generate life. There are no exceptions to this rule – life can only come from another life. This is a practical scientific observation.
Many scientists have admitted the scale of this problem. They don’t have the answers to how life began. They acknowledge life’s beginning here on earth, but are stuck with their interpretations, because they refuse to consider God’s creation.
Next, we’ll look at some comments about the subject. If scientists were honest, they would face the reality that creation by God is the only logical solution to the beginning of life. And if they decide to claim otherwise, they should at least prove their claims and not just come up with fictional accounts:
I believe that we should go further and admit that the only acceptable explanation is creation. I know that this thought is ostracized by physicists and, actually, by me as well, but we should not reject it only if empirical data supports it and we don’t like that. (H. Lipson, ” A Physicist Looks at Evolution”, Physics Bulletin, 31, 1980)
Scientists don’t have any evidence against the notion that life came to be as the result of creation. (Robert Jastrow: The Enchanted Loom, Mind in the Universe, 1981)
Experimentation of over 30 years in the field of chemistry and molecule evolution has introduced the monumental nature of the issue with the beginning of life, rather than a solution for it. Nowadays practically only these theories and experiments and them leading to dead ends is discussed or the lack of knowledge is admitted (Klaus Dose, Interdisciplinary Science Review 13, 1988)
As we try to compile a summary of what we know about the deep history of life on Earth, the origin of life and phases of its forming which led to the biology that can be seen around us now, we have to admit that it is in the dark. We do not know how life began on this planet. We do not know exactly when it began and under what conditions. (Andy Knoll, a Professor of the University of Harvard) (3)
SPECIES ON EARTH.
- (Gen 1:24) And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
Comparing Bible’s account and naturalistic explanation to why there are different animal species, we can see how different the two are. According to the Bible different species were created by God, but the naturalistic theory teaches about one original cell that links all species together.
Which view of the two is correct? People often assume that Darwin proved species transformations, but that is a common misconception. There’s no doubt Darwin was a competent scientist, but the examples he provided don’t count as examples of species transformations, because they are cases of variation (beak size in birds etc.) and adaptation. They are two completely different phenomena. That is to say if the beak size of some finches varies, or some bacteria are more resistant than some other type of bacteria, it doesn’t mean they are two different species. They are still finches and bacteria. All the examples in science literature represent these two phenomena. They are examples of variation and adaptation.
The following citations will illustrate the quality of Darwin’s examples. Even though, Darwin had some good observations, he couldn’t prove the existence of species transforming into another species. There are no such examples in his book On the Origin of Species, nor in any other evolutionary literature. This corroborates with statements of many frontline paleontologists denying the existence of fossilized transitional forms.
Therefore, if we accept the evidence as it appears without trying to interpret it through evolution, it seems the Book of Genesis has quite an accurate description of how species have been different from the beginning. There has been variation, since their originally rich gene pools have carried the potential to adapt into different environments. That potential, however, does not turn them into different species. Furthermore, when adaptation and variation take place, species’ gene pools become more restricted, which lessens their potential for variation in the future. Cheetahs and other specialized species work as examples of this. They are in danger of becoming extinct, because their gene pool has become extremely restricted. If evolution developed from simple to complicated, we should experience an increase in information. However, information is constantly lost, when species become more specialized.
Darwin: I am actually tired of telling people that I do not claim to have any direct evidence of a species having changed into another species and that I believe this view correct mainly because so many phenomena can be grouped and explained based on it. (4)
Encyclopedia Britannica: It must be emphasized that Darwin never claimed to have been able to prove evolution or the origin of species. He claimed that if evolution has taken place, many inexplicable facts can be explained. The evidence supporting evolution is thus indirect.
Recently, it has been admitted that Darwin’s ”proof” was actually philosophical reasoning without a great deal of scientific basis. I quote from the most presticious recent evolutionist, Ernst Mayr (Harvard University): “One must grant Darwin’s opponents the validity of two of their objections. First, Darwin produced embarrasingly little concrete evidence to back up some of his most important claims.” (Nature 248, 22 March 1974, p. 285) The evidence for evolution has never been strong, nor is it strong today. (5)
Perhaps the most staggering point about the current situation is the following: although in the mass media Darwin is considered to be a secular saint and evolution theory is thought to be an unbeatable challenge to religious claims, the leading biologists consider it to be self-evident that the origin of species is still not discovered. In the Nature –magazine Eörs Szathmary wrote an evaluation of Jeffrey Schwartz’s efforts to construct such a theory and he began his evaluation like so: “The origin of species has for long fascinated biologists. Although this is the heading of Darwin’s magnum opus, it does not provide a solution to the problem. Will Jeffrey Schwartz provide a solution? I’m afraid that generally speaking he does not. (6)
”It is rather ironic that the book, which became famous for explaining the birth of the species, does not actually explain it at all.” (Christopher Booker, writer of Times when quoting Darwin’s magnum opus the Origin of Species)
- (Gen 2:2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
- (Ex 20:11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
We can consider our seven-day week as a remarkable phenomenon, because it is shared by all cultures around the world. This practice is also thousands of years old.
How did we come to adopt seven days in a week? Evolutionists hardly have anything reasonable to explain it with, but the Bible gives us a clear answer: God created everything in seven days, and that is why people use seven days to mark a week’s passing. This habit is familiar to nations from different sides of the globe since the early days, which means it probably is inherited from our shared ancestors, as illustrated by the following citation:
We can find information about the seven-day week from very ancient times to be in the knowledge of all nations – including Ethiopians, Arabs, Native Americans – all nations in the East have at all times used this seven-day week which is difficult to explain without admitting that this information has been received from the common ancestors of mankind. (8)
We can find more evidence supporting mankind’s shared history from astronomy. That is why Australia’s aboriginals have similar stories regarding certain constellations, as can be found from Greek mythology. Such an example is provided by the constellation of Orion and the Pleiades star cluster of Taurus constellation. The name Orion used in Europe derives from a hunter named Orion in Greek mythology, but the aboriginals use the same name. Astrophysicist Ray Morris, who has researched the matter, said the following:
The aboriginals also named this constellation thousands of years ago. It is rather extraordinary that through Australia the story consists of a hunter or a group of hunters… According to Greek mythology the Seven Sisters, which are the constellation of Pleiades, were sisters that Orion chased. It is peculiar that throughout the whole of Australia aboriginals tell an extremely similar story, where the Pleiades represent seven sisters, who are chased by the hunters of Orion. This is astonishing – the story of Orion and the seven sisters is nearly identical in both the Greek mythology and in the bedtime stories of aboriginals. (9)
Australian Broadcasting Corporation referred to the same connection in their science website, regarding the mythologies between the aboriginals and the Greeks. It suggests mankind shared their early history, and that it hasn’t been that many thousand years ago:
Unexpectedly, these stories share an impeccable resemblance to Greek mythology, where Orion chases Pleiades sisters through the skies. (10)
- (Gen 1:27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
When naturalists try to explain the past from a naturalist perspective, they often find themselves unable to clarify many things. They cannot prove, how the world could exert itself into existence from nothingness, how life began by itself, and they cannot explain how hydrogen gas transformed into humans, cliffs, birds, worms, elephants, or into any other living creature. All in all, they are unable to explain much of their theory. They are again and again forced to come up with new stories stranger than the last one, in order to be able to account for the initial stages of the universe and life.
The same goes for human sexuality. Naturalists are unable to properly explain how different sexes and sexual reproduction came to be. They cannot answer how these things could have evolved from a simple original cell. For example, sexual reproduction poses many obstacles and problems. If some parts aren’t readily functional, extinction will follow. Semi-developed system is impossible, because it doesn’t work. Everything must be functional from the get-go, in order for sexual reproduction to work. All this fits with the Bible description:
• Sexual interest arousing between different genders is a mystery. How could such a thing develop from a simple cell, which definitely didn’t possess any sexual interest?
• Even though interest would arise between different genders, the individuals should have complementary sexual organs. A good question is, how these complementary organs of males and females could have developed separately and in different individuals? Shouldn’t this have been impossible, because development should have taken place in two individuals simultaneously?
• Even bigger issue comes from males’ and females’ different gametes, which are complementary, function together, and which together will develop a new individual into this world. How can compatible gametes develop separately?
• Extinction would have also been a threat if the womb, birth canal and secured nourishment hadn’t been there from the start. In fact, it is necessary that all organs and stages connected to reproduction were complete and functional from the beginning, otherwise life couldn’t have survived. The idea of these things appearing spontaneously and out of nowhere, without anyone creating them, is fictional and there’s good reason to doubt its possibility.
• Breasts and mammaries, as well as, the milk they produce secure nutrition for the upcoming months after birth. How could this system necessary for survival be the result of accidental events?
Sexuality is also referred to in the second chapter of the Book of Genesis. It explains how man was created first, and how God then made a woman from the man.
- (Gen 2:20-23) And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her to the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
It is interesting to note here that Miao nation in China has preserved a similar order in their explanation to human creation. According to them woman was also created after man and that she was created from the man also. Their order of creation is the same as in the Bible.
The similarities don’t end just there. Miao nation’s tales include similar names as mentioned in the first chapters of the Bible, like Seth, Lamech, Noah and Noah’s sons Shem, Ham and Japheth; or they at least share a striking resemblance to these names. These kinds of similarities with the Bible strongly suggest that humans had a shared early history. Other nations’ folklore also contains similar depictions about our early history. Stories about the Fall, confusion of tongues, the Flood and dragons fall into the same category of shared folklore.
On the earth he made a man from mud, From this he created a woman. Then patriarch Loka made a scale from stones estimating the weight of the earth down to the bottom, counting the mass of the orbits, contemplated roads of the divinity, roads of God. To patriarch Loka was born patriarch Se-teh. To patriarch Se-teh was born son Lusu, and Lusu had Kehlo and to him was born ama.
To patriarch Lama was born the man Nuah. His wife's name was ancestress Kau Po-lu-en. Their sons were: Lo-Han, Lo-Shen and Jah-hu. Like this the earth started to fill with tribes and families. In creation the families and nations were formed. (11)
Well-known fossil researcher Richard Leakey provided a similar description in his book Origins Reconsidered, p. 322. It’s about a Native American tribe in South America that still had old stories alive referring to the Flood and a woman appearing from a man’s body. This suggests that the tribe had vague information about the early stages of mankind. Many other tribes and nations have similar stories:
After the Flood there were only a few original creatures left. Periboriwa (Moon goddess) was one of the few that survived… The tale continues to explain that women originally appeared as complete grown women from a man’s body.
As we have discussed sexuality here, we should also acknowledge questions about people, who claim they are falsely gendered or have been born with the wrong gender. And how should we react to the claim sometimes appearing in the media that there are more than two genders, even millions?
The answer to the former question is that biology only knows two genders: male and female, and no more. This is a scientific and a biological fact that cannot be denied. However, it is possible that people form distorted conceptions in their mind, which is something entirely different. The kind of distorted thinking is similar to eating disorders (e.g., anorexia nervosa can make people to see themselves as extremely fat, although they might be extremely thin) and to other misconceptions of the mind. However, there are usually traumatic family and relationship experiences behind trans-individuals, like they’re parents having wished for another gender. All this might have led to misconceptions and confusion inside the mind. The two examples below will refer to this. Perhaps, the best cure for feeling abandoned is receiving love from other people and from God. We all need that.
Loren, an elegant, handsome forty-year-old man, had been openly homosexual since his youth. This had caused great conflicts between him and his father, and problems in his other relationships. He did not accept himself but defended his behavior passionately when arguing with his father. He understood that his homosexuality included a grudge and a rebellion towards his father, but he was never able to deal with these. This man had genuinely found Christ and salvation, but he often lost the battle against his homosexual tendency, until God brought into light his first memories. This happened when we asked the Lord to find that recollection that would expose the cause of the problem. During this prayer, he relived an occurrence that took place when he was only just born.
He saw his father coming into the room where he had just been born. Disappointment quickly filled the room and heavily weighed on him. His father looked at him with disgust and said, "Another boy!” Then he turned and rushed away from the room. Loren was their third son, they had been hoping for a girl. Loren "saw" all of this and experienced it again – and this time, understood it both intellectually and emotionally. This rejection explained why Loren had later tried to become a girl, to the great astonishment of the family. He wanted to play with dolls and girls, not with boys. He unconsciously tried to be the girl his father had hoped for. (12)
… - I’m from the Netherlands. My father was an Italian and my mother a Romany of the Netherlands. My family was very broken. I had to cope with the criminal world of Rotterdam already in youth. At the age of fourteen, I was sentenced to prison for three and half years, La Serpe tells.
Because of problems at home, the girl spent several years of her childhood with her grandmother in Italy. Her parents had hoped for their firstborn to be a boy. The girl noticed already at an early age that she pleased her parents and managed in streets better as a boy. The dresses, jewellery and make-up were not for her. Luisa suppressed all things feminine in herself and took as her name the masculine name Loid.
Only a few knew her right sex because she shaved her hair, used men’s clothes and behaved like other men.
(...) This is how Luisa’s change from a drug dealer to an evangelist began. Femininity began to be in proportion as she started to recover from her internal wounds, of which the rejection experiences of her childhood were biggest. It took, however, several years before she dared to give up her male identity wholly to God’s care.
(...) God assured that He knew how Luisa was doing. He promised to heal the wounds of her heart if Luisa only returned to Him.
- That night, the Holy Spirit came and took care of me. I got to be healed thoroughly from my internal wounds and to be in His arms like a child. I repented that I had lived in the role of a man up to the age of 37. Only then did I dare to give up my male identity wholly to God and accept my femininity.
The tall, beautiful woman breaks with emotion many times as she remembers the old days. The journey has not been easy but today she is happy. Luisa is full of joyful tension as she waits to see what God has planned for her next.
After her recovery, Luisa returned to slum work among the most miserable of Fortaleza in Brazil. She shows photographs in which she poses with a saved, former Macumba priest or prays with a crying woman whose lower extremities are gangrened because of untreated diabetes.
- Poverty, diseases, criminality and prostitution are the daily reality in slums. Sometimes I had to flee with my friends from gangsters armed with jungle knives. But still the work was worth the while, Luisa La Serpe rejoices. (13)
- (Rom 5:12) Why, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed on all men, for that all have sinned:
When people abandon Bible teachings, they also abandon the teaching about the Fall of Man and the original sin. They don’t believe in them and think that people are fundamentally good. This could also include the idea of constant development, in moral sense too, as presupposed by evolution.
In reality, the Fall of Man is one of the most grounded teachings in the Bible. It explains evilness, suffering, selfishness, and death. It also explains the horrendous acts of the 20th century and the killings of tens of thousands of people. The need for police and armed forces in society also evidence the Fall. We need them, because we don’t trust in the goodness of people. It is not only about the upbringing and circumstances, but also about the original sin that is within all of us. Practical evidence in this case is too great to deny the Fall of Man:
- “Professor Joad was an intelligent and quick-witted opponent of the gospel,” the pastor interrupted him. “I remember, as I was in England, how a vicar preached about the subject, ‘God, the devil and Professor C.E.M. Joad’.”
Everyone burst into laughter.
Michael continued his speech:
- Professor Joad was of the opinion that in human nature there is not any fault which higher civilization, better possibilities and better environment would not improve.
Then came war. When Joad contemplated misery, pain and destruction, he came to the conclusion that the events of that moment and those in history are a long account of man’s inhumanity towards man. He came to realize that theologians had one common viewpoint, which philosophers did not emphasize, namely, that in human nature there is some fault, and that fault could be called original sin. From these starting-points Joad progressed from sin to the need of salvation and from Saviour to God, who sent His Son to reconcile the sins of the people. Joad experienced an intellectual conversion to Christianity, and he became a member of the Anglican Church. "Higher civilization, better possibilities and better environment", he finally said, "have not even nowadays brought about a better society, such as the growing crime statistics of the welfare countries indicate." (14)
We can also find some evidence for the Fall of Man from other sources than the Bible. Such sources include, for example, sealed information and folklore, which will be listed below. They show us how some nations have had early information about a Fall that occurred, which impacted the coming generations. These kinds of stories once again suggest mankind shared their early history.
Near Nineveh in Tepe Gawra was found the imprint of a seal in which there is an image of a man and a woman with bowed heads as a result of an accident, and a snake is following them. It has been thought that the picture may represent being banished from Paradise. This seal is preserved in a museum in Philadelphia, U.S.A.
In Mesopotamia another imprint of a seal was found. It features a man and a woman seated on either side of a tree. A snake stands in an upright position just behind the woman. This seems to be an accurate picture of the story of the Fall of man told in Genesis. It shows us that people across Mesopotamia knew the story and understood its message.
One Sumerian poem, a part of which has been translated, also seems to refer to the Fall. It tells about a woman who ate that which was forbidden and thereby became the mother of sin. This seems to be a description of Eve, the spouse of Adam, who first fell into sin and then lured her husband to sin. (Alfred Jeremias, Das Alte Testament im lichtes des alten orients, Leipzig 1930, 4. part, p. 99):
The woman ate it which was forbidden and the woman, the mother of sin, did wrong. The mother of sin had a painful experience.
Stories about the Fall of Man, which have spread among different nations in varying forms, indicate the historical nature of this event. For example, folklore of the Karen people in Burma tells about the Fall. One of their songs tells how in the beginning Y’wa, the real God, created the world, then pointed the “forbidden fruit”, but Mu-kaw-lee betrayed two people. That is when people became prone to illness, aging and death:
In the beginning Y'wa gave form to the world. He indicated food and drink. He indicated "the test fruit". He gave accurate commands. Mu-kaw-lee betrayed two persons. He got them to eat the test fruit. They disobeyed; did not believe Y'wa... When they ate the test fruit, they faced illnesses, ageing, and death. (15)
When current modernists attack against the Bible, they also place doubts on the Flood, which is mentioned in the Book of Genesis. They don’t believe the Flood ever existed, just as Peter prophesized about the people of the last days: "Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts… For this they willingly are ignorant of, that… the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished”.(2 Peter 3:5,6).
However, the Flood is much more easily proven than, for example, evolution (molecule-to-man theory). There is real evidence in the nature, as well as, in folklore to support it. In the nature evidence comes from remains of sea creatures and plants being dug up from high mountain ranges and from dry areas. It shows that these areas have been under water. This applies to all high mountains. The following citations relate to the Himalayas and the Alps
There are bones of oxen and horses in the Himalayan glaciers. An ice slide starting at a glacier at the altitude of 5,000 metres (three miles) brought such bones with it.
A large British expedition that almost reached the peak of Mount Everest found petrified fish lying on the mountain. (16)
Harutaka Sakai from the Japanese University in Kyushu has for many years researched these marine fossils in the Himalayan Mountains. He and his group have listed a whole aquarium from the Mesozoic period. Tender sea lilies, relatives to the current sea urchins and starfishes, were found on cliffs over three kilometres above sea level. Ammonites, belemnites, corals, and plankton fossils are found in the rocks of the mountains. (…)
At an altitude of two kilometres above sea level, the geologists found markings the sea had made. There was a wavelike rock surface, similar to that which is formed by waves on sand in low water. Yellow stripes of limestone have been found even on the peak of Mount Everest, formed from innumerable remains of marine creatures under water. ("Maapallo ihmeiden planeetta", p. 55)
There is reason to look closely at the original nature of the rocks in the mountain ranges. It is best seen in the Alps, in the lime Alps of the northern, so-called Helvetian zone. Limestone is the main rock material. If we were to scale the steep slopes of some mountain or peak – if we had the energy to climb up there – we would find fossilized remains of marine creatures. They are often badly damaged, but it is possible to find recognizable pieces. All those fossils are lime shells or skeletons of sea creatures. Among them are spiral twisted ammonites and many bivalves. (…) The reader might wonder at this point what it means that mountain ranges hold so many sediments, which can also be found stratified in the bottom of the sea. (p. 236,237 "Muuttuva maa", Pentti Eskola)
Jerry A. Coyne’s book about evolution (Why evolution isn’t true, p. 127) tells, how Darwin found fossilized seashells from high up in the Andes. Our writer admits the mountain’s past under water, but still doesn’t believe it has been due to the Flood. His opinion is typical for modernists, who bypass clear evidence. The reason for this kind of attitude must be that the scientists look at everything through the perspective of evolution and millions of years. They don’t understand that because of the Flood, it only took a short period of time to form earth’s features, which they believe took millions of years to form.
Not only has the Flood left clear traces in the nature, but tales of it have also been carried throughout generation to generation. There are hundreds of stories of the Flood around the world. All of them combined and their global nature, make them strong evidence to support the Flood:
Around 500 cultures – including indigenous peoples of Greece, China, Peru and North America – are known in the world where the legends and myths describe a compelling story of a large flood that changed the history of the tribe. In many stories, only a few people survived the flood, just like in the case of Noah. Many of the peoples considered the flood to have been caused by gods who, for one reason or another, got bored with the human kind. Perhaps the people were corrupt, like in Noah’s times and in a legend by the Native American Hopi tribe of North America, or perhaps there were too many and too noisy people, like in the Gilgamesh epic. (17)
Famous anthropologist Sir James Frazer has collected traditional lore on the Flood from a variety of remote locations, such as the Leeward Islands, Bengali, China and Malaysia. This terrifying event has been retained in the memory of peoples all around the world, including very primitive tribes. The stories agree on one issue: the Flood was a punishment for severe sins and only a few devout people were saved.
Titus Flavius Josephus is generally considered to be the most reliable historian of the classical period. He writes in his book Antiquities of the Jews: “The Armenian called the place (where Noah and his family exited the ark) the Apobaterion, the landing place.” (18)
In the previous chapters we discussed naturalistic theories from the perspective of how the universe and life began. We concluded that these theories have no scientific base, because they are tales founded on imagination. No scientist has ever been able to prove, how the world could form from nothingness or how life could begin by itself, and no one has been able to prove species transformations. They are merely false perceptions that control people’s way of thinking.
This provides us a chance to discuss chronology and years. Since naturalistic theories regarding the beginning of the universe and life are without a foundation, we can place questions on their dating system (the world exerting itself into existence 13,8 billion years ago, life beginning by itself 3-4 billion years ago, etc.). These years associated with the beginning of the universe and life have no meaning if these events never happened. We can immediately set aside these years.
What about the existence of life and humans here on earth? What does the Bible say about our existence and life on the planet? The words of Jesus are a good starting point, as He said that human was created in the beginning of the world, and not at the end. He said the following about our creation:
- (Mark 10:6) But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
It is clear the words of Jesus go against the concepts of today and that atheists don’t believe in His words. They should still consider the following aspects and examples. They strongly suggest that humans have been on this planet as long as other life-forms have been, and not millions or even thousands of years later.
• Firstly, we should take a closer look at how old fossils really are. The fact remains, no one can say with certainty how old fossils are just by looking and touching them. Fossils themselves don’t tell us anything about the time they lived on the planet:
There is no man on this Earth who knows enough about rocks and fossils to be able to prove in any way that a specific type of fossil is truly essentially older or younger than another type. In other words, there is no-one who could truly prove that a trilobite from the Cambrian period is older than a dinosaur from the Cretaceous period or a mammal from the Tertiary period. Geology is anything but an exact science. (19)
Dinosaur fossils give us a great example. They don’t come with age tags. However, if we study these fossils (and set aside the geologic time scale composed in the 19th century), we’ll learn that they indicate a much younger age rather than a very old one, and here’s why:
- There have been traces of radiocarbon, whose official half-life is only 5730 years (see http://newgeology.us/presentation48.html.)
- As early as in the 1990s, magazines already published articles regarding DNA extraction from dinosaur bones. For example, Yle news reported the half-life of DNA is only 521 years (yle.fi > Uutiset > Tiede, 13/10/2012, DNA:n säilyvyyden takaraja selvisi – haaveet dinosaurusten kloonaamisesta raukesivat [Survival time of DNA revealed – cloning dinosaurs remains a fantasy]). This proves that DNA could never last 100 000 years in a natural environment, not to mention millions of years. Researchers’ haven’t always been able to extract DNA samples from human mummies either. Therefore, if there’s still DNA on dinosaur fossils, as already proven by studies in the 1990s, they cannot be millions of years old.
- Blood cells still containing the nucleus have also been found from dinosaur fossils [Morell, V., Dino DNA: The Hunt and the Hype, Science 261 (5118): 160-162, 1993] and they have also appeared to contain hemoglobin. These easily decayable substances prove these cannot be million-year-old bones.
- Dinosaur bones have also been found to contain soft tissues (Yle uutiset 5/12/2007: Dinosaurusten lihaksia ja nahkaa löytyi USA:sta [Dinosaur muscle and skin found in the USA]). It is not possible for them to last millions of years in natural environments.
- Dinosaur fossils have also been found to contain proteins, and it’s not considered possible they would last millions of years in natural environments:
On the other hand, it is known that biomolecules cannot be preserved over 100,000 years (Bada, J et al. 1999. Preservation of key biomolecules in the fossil record: current knowledge and future challenges. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 354, ).This is the finding of empirical science. The biomolecule of animal tissue is collagen, which is a typical structural protein, and it can usually be segregated from fossils. It is known that this protein in question decays quickly from bones, and you can detect its remains only after 30,000 years, excluding very dry special circumstances. It undoubtedly rains occasionally in the Hell Creek region. Thus, collagen should not be found from a “68 million” year-old bone, which has been laying around in the soil. (20)
If the observations regarding proteins, such as albumin, collagen, osteocalcin, and DNA, that have been separated from dinosaur bones are true – and we have no reason to doubt the researchers' carefulness – the bones must (based on these results) date back to 40,000- to 50,000 years at most, as this is the highest possible preserving time in nature for such materials. (21)
• As stated, naturalist scientists assume humans appeared on the planet at a different time than dinosaurs. However, they haven’t considered that there are plenty of descriptions of dragons in folklore, and dragons if anything share a striking resemblance to dinosaurs. This suggests that these large creatures coexisted with humans. They all just went extinct like so many other species.
Chinese calendar and zodiac, which are known to be ancient, provide a good example of how dragons might have actually been dinosaurs. Chinese zodiac is based on 12 animals, which operate in a repeating 12-year cycle. Eleven of those animals are still known to this day: rat, bull, tiger, hare, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. However, the twelfth animal is a dragon, an animal that no longer exists. If eleven of the animals are real, why would they make one exception with the dragon and add a mythical creature? Wouldn’t it make sense to assume it used to coexist with humans, but has since gone extinct like so many other animal species? We should also keep in mind that the name ”dinosaur” was only invented in the 19th century by Richard Owen. Before that people must have used the name “dragon” for centuries:
The dragons in legends are, strangely enough, just like real animals that lived in the past. They resemble large reptiles (dinosaurs) that ruled the land long before man is supposed to have appeared. Dragons were generally regarded as bad and destructive. Each nation referred to them in their mythology. (The World Book Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, 1973, p. 265)
Since the beginning of noting history, dragons have appeared everywhere: in the earliest accounts of Assyria and Babylon about the development of civilization, in Jewsish history according to the Old Testament, in the old texts from China and Japan, in the mythology of the Greeks, Romans and the early Christians, in the allegories of ancient America, and in the myths of Africa and India. It is difficult to find a society that would have not included dragons in their legendary history…Aristotle, Pliny and other writers from the classical times claimed that tales about dragons were based on facts rather than imagination. (22)
Finnish geologist Pentti Eskola reported decades ago in his book Muuttuva maa [Changing Earth], how descriptions of dragons resemble dinosaurs:
The varying forms of lizard-like animals seem so funny to us because many of them resemble – in a distant and often caricature-like way – modern mammals living under similar conditions. However, most dinosaurs were so very different from the modern life forms that the nearest analogues can be found in the depictions of dragons in legends. Strangely enough, the authors of the legends had naturally not studied petrifactions or even knew of them. (23)
The question is, are these discoveries founded on secure information? They aren’t, because there is no way of checking the facts. Radiocarbon dating usually acts as a basis for these discoveries, but these methods might show numbers much greater than the actual age, due to, for example, weakened magnetic fields (Magnetic field strength has been calculated to halve once in every 1400 years.)
The following comments will illustrate how the human history can only be affirmed a few millennia back, but not any further than that. Any discoveries going further than that are debatable. The first statement comes from the developer of the radiocarbon method, professor W.F. Libby, who stated in Science magazine on the 3rd March 1961 (p. 624) that documented history only goes ca. 5000 years back. He also mentioned the dynasty of Egypt and how its chronology might contain hundred-year errors (this was also speculated in Finnish TV in the three-part series called “Faaraot ja kuninkaat” [Pharaohs and kings] shown in November and December during the year of 1996).
Arnold (my co-worker) and I were first shocked when we discovered that history only dates 5,000 years back in time. (...) We had often read about this or that culture or archaeological site being 20,000 years old. We quite quickly learned that these figures and early dates are not accurately known and that the first dynasty of Egypt is, as a matter of fact, the oldest even somehow confirmed historical date. (24)
The earliest notes we have of the history of man date only approximately 5,000 years to the past. (The World Book Encyclopaedia, 1966, volume 6, p. 12)
In the recent excavations, the most surprising issue has been how suddenly civilization appeared in the world. This observation is quite at odds with what had been expected. It had been thought that the older the period in question, the more primitive the excavators would find it, until all the traces of civilization would disappear and the primitive man would appear. This has not been the case neither in Babylon nor in Egypt that are the oldest known human settlements. (25)
- (Gen 11:1,4, 6-9) And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach to heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad on the face of the whole earth.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from there on the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from there did the LORD scatter them abroad on the face of all the earth.
As already noted, humans differ from animals in speech and language, for example. Animals don’t possess a similar language ability, grammar, and they cannot read or write. Whereas, for people these are innate properties.
Where did this language ability come from? The Bible clearly teaches us that God gave this ability to us, as He did with so many other special abilities, like intelligence, which for us is far greater than it is for animals.
We should also discuss the confusion of languages, which we can read about in the Book of Genesis. People with naturalist ideologies often show an arrogant attitude towards this Bible narration, which is no different to them denying creation, the Flood and other early events mentioned in the Book of Genesis. However, confusion of languages and the tower of Babel are, in fact, mentioned in many other sources, as well. Here are a few examples:
• In the history of Mexico (Mexican antiquity, 9. Part, p. 321), we find a story preserved that tells of destruction that is in many ways similar to the texts in the Bible. It describes the Flood, the increase of the people after it, the building of a tower, and the confusion of languages. One significant similarity is that the mountains were under water to the depth of 15 cubits, as is mentioned in Genesis (Gen 7:20):
Frightening rains and lightning from the sky destroyed the people and also the whole country without exception, and also the highest mountains were covered by water, to the depth of fifteen cubits. After the Flood, the people multiplied on earth and built a very high zacual (tower) for protection, in case the other world would be destroyed. Shortly after this, their language was confused, and when they could not understand each other, they scattered around the earth. (26)
• There’s one reference to the confusion of languages in a story found from Babel, and the story talks about the destruction of a tower and languages being confused in a similar manner to the Bible. The only difference is that the story contains many gods.
What is interesting about this and the former story (which can also be found from the Bible) is dispersion of people to every corner of the world, because they could no longer understand each other. Similar population movement and increase has continued to this day, resulting in areas like the North and South America and Australia being mainly inhabited within the last 200-300 years. (It has been estimated that, for example, there were only 6000 inhabitants in the whole of Australia in the 19th century, 3 million inhabitants at most in North America in the beginning of the 18th century, and 10 million inhabitants at the same time in South America.). They were very sparsely inhabited 500 years ago, and there was only a fraction of what we have in our current population elsewhere, as well. We don’t need to go back that many millennia, when we already reach point zero, when there were no people at all. In fact, our current population number can be reached in less than thousand years. Therefore, had people been here hundred thousand or millions of years ago, the earth would have been densely populated ages ago, but that hasn’t been the case.
Building this temple insulted the Gods. One night they threw to the ground what had been built. They scattered people to different countries and made their speech strange. They prevented any advances in work. (27)
• Sumerians have been regarded as the first known historical nation in the Middle East, and they kept some information about mankind’s early days, which has been preserved to this day. For example, there is a poem that is related to our early history. It talks about time before the confusion of languages, when everyone used to praise the high god Enlil with one tongue. It also corroborates with the Bible narration that in the beginning ”the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.” (Gen 11:1):
Once upon a time there were no snakes, no scorpions, no hyenas, no lions, no fear, no fright, the man did not have any competition. There was a time when the countries of Subur and Hamaz (later) multilingual Sumer, the great land of princely divine laws, Uri that had everything that is imaginable, The land of Martu, which rested in security, The whole world, all people together praised supreme Enlil in one language. (28)
• A peculiar reference to the ancient tower of Babel can be found from Nabopolassar, the founder of the Neo-Babylonian Empire (626-605 BC) and the father of the famous Nebuchadnezzar. His statements mention the tower of Babel and its construction.
At that time Marduk commanded me to build the tower of Babel, which had been destroyed in the old days, to lay down a firm foundation when the top of the tower reached heaven.
His son Nebuchadnezzar also talked of a tower competing with the sky:
I still built the tower for Etemenank so that it competed with heaven.
- Is there any evidence to support the existence of God? asked the king of Prussia Frederick the Great.
Abbed Steimetz responded with an immortalized answer:
- The Jews, Your Highness. (29)
We have already discussed the first chapters of Genesis above. We noted there are strong grounds to consider biblical events as historical. It is suggested by the fact that these events are often referenced in folklore.
What about the history of the Jews? Their history also begins in the Book of Genesis. This Book tells how the Jews descend from Abraham, who the Arabs also consider their ancestor. The Jews descend from the blood line of Isaac and Jacob, whereas the Arabs descend from Ishmael.
God has also spoken through the Jews. These days people don’t believe in the announcement of God or that He could speak through people. However, this is what the Bible teaches happened with the Jews. Jesus came through them, and the people who wrote the Books in the Bible were also Jewish. If they hadn’t written down these Books, we wouldn’t know anymore how to connect with God through Jesus Christ:
- (Rom 9:1-5) I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertains the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
- (Rom 3:1-3) What advantage then has the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that to them were committed the oracles of God.
3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
- (John 4:21,22) Jesus said to her, Woman, believe me, the hour comes, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 You worship you know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Why pay attention to the Jews, you may ask? Because for once, many of the phases and fates of these people have been foreseen in the Bible. This on its own serves as evidence for the Bible and Christianity. Here are a few examples:
Prophesized dispersion that came true. The first thing we should look at is the dispersion of the Jews, which had already been foreseen. Moses talked about it as early as 3000 years ago, and Jesus also prophesized about it. The first dispersion took place ca. 600 BC, when the Jews ended up in Babylon, but in the year 70 AD a dispersion occurred that caused the Jews to spread among other nations, as foretold by Jesus.
This is true, since there are still Jews in Russia, Europe, the USA, in South America and all around the world. It is remarkable that this whole time they have acknowledge their national existence and kept their identity. That is, usually when migration occurs, the new settlers often forget about their roots in 3-4 generations. This did not happen with the Jews, although they have been dispersed for nearly 2000 years:
- (Luke 21:23,24) But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath on this people.
24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
- (Matt 23:38,39) Behold, your house is left to you desolate.
39 For I say to you, You shall not see me from now on, till you shall say, Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord.
- (Deut 28:63-65) And it shall come to pass, that as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nothing; and you shall be plucked from off the land where you go to possess it.
64 And the LORD shall scatter you among all people, from the one end of the earth even to the other; and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known, even wood and stone.
65 And among these nations shall you find no ease, neither shall the sole of your foot have rest: but the LORD shall give you there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind:
- (Lev 26:33,34,44) And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.
34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lies desolate, and you be in your enemies’ land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.
44 And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God.
When the Bible prophesized about the dispersion of the Jews, it said that one consequence of the dispersion would be them becoming a target of taunts, ridicule, and that they would not find peace in any other land. These prophecies were already referred to ca. 3500 years ago in the Book of Genesis. When it comes to the fulfillment of these prophesies, they couldn’t be more accurate and more descriptive of the refugee times that have lasted from the year 70 AD to this day. Although the words come from 3500 years back, and have been said centuries before the dispersion, such expressions as “quivering heart, exhausted eyes, and languishing soul” depict well their centuries lasted refugee status and their toughest moments throughout times. These expressions summarize all the persecutions and discrimination the Jews have had to endure in other countries; the most painful one being Hitler’s persecution some decades ago.
- (Deut 28:37) And you shall become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword, among all nations where the LORD shall lead you.
- (Deut 28:64-67) And the LORD shall scatter you among all people, from the one end of the earth even to the other; and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known, even wood and stone.
65 And among these nations shall you find no ease, neither shall the sole of your foot have rest: but the LORD shall give you there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind:
66 And your life shall hang in doubt before you; and you shall fear day and night, and shall have none assurance of your life:
67 In the morning you shall say, Would God it were even! and at even you shall say, Would God it were morning! for the fear of your heart with which you shall fear, and for the sight of your eyes which you shall see.
Prophesized return and rebirth of the nation. As the Bible prophesies about the dispersion of the Jews among other nations, there are also many prophecies about the rebirth of Israel and Jews returning to the land, where their ancestors lived. The most important milestone happened on the 14th of May 1948, when Israel was declared a country after almost 2000 years. There was a Jewish state once again. Additionally, there began a flow of immigration that had increased in the 19th century – however, Jews had been living on this land the whole time – and a lot of construction. We cannot forget the rebirth of Hebrew and when it got reinstated. We can consider it as a kind of miracle, as this language had been nearly out of use for centuries. For example, the following passages refer to the national reformation and return. Prophecies from over thousands of years from the past are beginning to fulfill:
- (Deut 30:3-5) That then the LORD your God will turn your captivity, and have compassion on you, and will return and gather you from all the nations, where the LORD your God has scattered you.
4 If any of your be driven out to the outmost parts of heaven, from there will the LORD your God gather you, and from there will he fetch you:
5 And the LORD your God will bring you into the land which your fathers possessed, and you shall possess it; and he will do you good, and multiply you above your fathers.
- (Acts 15:13-18) And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brothers, listen to me:
14 Simeon has declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, on whom my name is called, said the Lord, who does all these things.
18 Known to God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
- (Eze 39:27,29) When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies’ lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
29 Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit on the house of Israel, said the Lord GOD.
- (Luke 21:20-24) And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is near.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the middle of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath on this people.
24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
There is one thing that has repeatedly surfaced throughout history: anti-Semitism has resurfaced time and again. No other nation has been as hated as the Jews. Yes, there has been rivalry between different nations, but anti-Semitism has gone on for centuries in all kinds of nations. The pogroms of Russia and persecutions by Hitler give us only a few examples of the worst kinds of hostility towards the Jews.
The same hostility is directed at the only Jewish country in the world, Israel. No other country has had to endure as many negative declarations made against them in the UN, as Israel has had to endure. This is happening despite Israel often being among the first to help other nations who have been struck by a catastrophe, and despite the so-called Palestinian Arabs having received significant improvements, when under the Israeli government. The following newspaper article illustrates well the general hostile attitude that is especially present in Muslim countries. We can see the words of Jesus becoming materialized:
What is hiding behind the definition of new anti-Semitism and how widespread is it? Unlike in the classical anti-Semitism, which was targeted against the Jews as individuals and as a nation, the target of new anti-Semitism is also the Jewish state Israel. In extreme cases, new anti-Semitism questions Israel's right to exist. New anti-Semitism has indeed gained more and more momentum in the Islamic world and Arab countries. (Etelä-Suomen Sanomat, 28.9.2003)
What causes anti-Semitism? Why is this hate directed specifically towards the Jews? Why isn’t it directed towards Arabs, who often resemble the Jews in appearance?
There might not be any secular explanation to this phenomenon. No secular person can answer this question. But we can find an explanation from the Bible, as it states that the Jews are God’s people – although they might have drifted away from God – which would explain the hate. There is a spiritual reason behind it. Because Satan hates God, he will also hate God’s people, and will provoke other people to hate them too. Satan also knowns that God will build His kingdom, whose center will be Jerusalem, and that is why Satan will try to ruin God’s good plan. People denying God don’t believe in these things, but do they have any better ideas as to why this anti-Semitism has gone on for centuries? We can only understand and approach this issue from a spiritual perspective.
- (Deut 7:6) For you are an holy people to the LORD your God: the LORD your God has chosen you to be a special people to himself, above all people that are on the face of the earth.
- (Joel 3:1,2) For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem,
2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.
- (Rom 11:1) I say then, Has God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
- (Acts 1:6,7) When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, will you at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said to them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father has put in his own power.
BIBLE AND HISTORY. As said before, naturalistic accounts for the world and life’s beginning lacks foundation. No one has been able to prove how nothingness could generate anything, how life could begin by itself and how all species could descend from the same original cell. Moreover, there is no convincing evidence to support the idea that humans would have been here any longer than 6000 years. The developer of the radiocarbon method, W.F. Libby, acknowledged the following: "Arnold (my co-worker) and I were first shocked when we discovered that history only dates 5,000 years back in time. (...) We had often read about this or that culture or archaeological site being 20,000 years old. We quite quickly learned that these figures and early dates are not accurately known and that the first dynasty of Egypt is, as a matter of fact, the oldest even somehow confirmed historical date." (30).
Directly put, views based on naturalism and evolution are filled with imaginary history. We can classify millions of years as fiction too, as they can be easily negated. Radiocarbon remains in coal indicate that our earth’s history cannot extend that far. Coal without radiocarbon hasn’t been found. (Lowe, D.C., Problems associated with use of coal as a source of 14C free background materal, Radiocarbon 31(2):117-120,1989). This brings the layers that have been assumed to be millions of years old back to recent history. Coal layers have also been found to contain human fossils and items. (Glashouver, W.J.J., So entstand die Welt, Hänssler, 1980, pp. 115-6; Bowden, M., Ape-men-Fact or Fallacy? Sovereign Publications, 1981; Barnes, F.A., The Case of the Bones in Stone, Desert/February, 1975, p. 36-39). Most likely, these layers, as most of the fossils, were formed in connection to the Flood and its aftermath.
What about biblical history? If Christianity is accurate, in that case biblical history should also be true. This is not difficult to prove, because other sources apart from the Bible also make references to the same people and events that are mentioned in the Bible. These sources refer to kings of Israel and Judah (Om’ri, Jehu, Hezekiah, Manasseh, David, Pekah, Jehoiachin...) and to secular rulers (Shishak, Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, Cyrus, Ben-hadad, Sargon, Sennacherib, Shalmaneser, Sennacherib...) from the Old Testament. Similarly, there are mentions and discoveries relating to people from the New Testament (John the Baptist, Jesus, Jakob, high priest Caiaphas’ bone discovery, Pilate’s name in a stone, high priest Ananias, Felix, Gallio, Sergius Paulus, Gamaliel, Caesars, Herod). With these pieces of evidence, we can conclude that these people were real historical figures. The disciples were able to rely on these events, as they were known by everyone. It would have been impossible to spread the Gospel if these events hadn’t been public knowledge.
- (Acts 2:22) You men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the middle of you, as you yourselves also know:
- (Acts 10:37,38) That word, I say, you know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
- (Acts 26:24-26) And as he thus spoke for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, you are beside yourself; much learning does make you mad.
25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.
26 For the king knows of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
The events of the New Testament and the Bible are reinforced by other sources. Archeology, historians’ notes and Church Fathers’ writings have constantly supported historical accuracy of the Bible. They contain mentions of dozens of rulers, other figures and locations, which were initially only known from the Bible. This strongly suggests that these people and places really existed.
Some researchers and archeologists have commented on how archeological discoveries can reinforce the Bible’s historicalness:
William Albright: The unreasonable suspicion that notable history research schools of the 18th -and 19th century showed towards the Bible, and is still sometimes shown, has been increasingly deemed questionable. Discovery after another has confirmed the accuracy of numerous details and they have also increased the value of the Bible as a historical source. (31)
Keith N. Schoville: It is important to understand that archaeological excavations have produced a lot of evidence that clearly proves that the Bible is not filled with false information. To this day, none of the historical events of the Bible have been proven false on the basis of this evidence obtained by archaeological research. (32)
Nelson Glueck: Absolutely and certainly speaking, not a single archaeological finding has ever questioned any passage of the Bible. Tens of archaeological findings that confirm the historical statements of the Bible either in broad outline or in detail have been made. (33)
The following example will illustrate how accurate Luke was as a historian (other Gospels talk about the same events). If he was so precise in describing relatively insignificant details – whose accuracy can be confirmed by other sources – why wouldn’t he have been just as accurate in describing miracles, which can’t be confirmed today? Only a naturalistic bias will prevent people from accepting this idea.
In a sense, this is exactly what archaeology does. If ancient historical details have been proven to be correct time and time again, we should also trust the stories of the historian in question that cannot be confirmed in the same way.
I asked for a professional opinion from McRay. – What do you think: does archaeology prove or disprove the reliability of the New Testament when archaeologists study the details included in the stories?
McRay immediately replied. – The studies make the New Testament more reliable, there is no question of that. Just like any ancient document is more reliable if archaeologists notice when proceeding with their digs that the author provided correct information about a location or event. (...)
– The consensus among both liberal and conservative scientists is that Luke was a very faithful historian, McRay replied. – He was a learned man, he was eloquent, his command of Greek was almost classical, he wrote like a well-educated man and archaeological findings have proven time and time again that Luke was very precise in his writings.
McRay added that in many cases related to the harbour stories, scientists at first thought that some of Luke's references were false, but later findings have confirmed that he wrote the information correctly. (...) One prominent archaeologist carefully studied Luke's references of 32 countries, 54 cities and nine islands without finding a single error. (34)
A.N. Sherwin-White, a researcher of the classical times, who’s been regarded as one of the most skilled interpreters of the Roman law, has especially studied the Acts (Roman Society and Roman law in the New testament, Oxford: Oxford university press, 1963, s. 173). He states that attempts to deny its reliability seem rather absurd. In addition to the Acts, Luke also wrote one of the Gospels:
The historical accuracy of the Acts has proven to be amazing. (…) Any attempt to reject the fundamental quality of the history of the Acts, even in the small details, seems absurd. Researchers of the history of Rome have for a long time regarded it as self-evident.
Forming a connection with God.
- (Rom 1:20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
As noted, the Bible offers a realistic explanation for the existence of the universe and life: they exist, because God exists. He created them, because He exists, and the whole of Bible is, in fact, based on the existence of God. We wouldn’t have this book if God’s existence wasn’t considered self-evident.
What if eternity and living God are truly real? What will it mean to us? For one, we should try to connect with Him. We should seek for certainty of how we can be forgiven for our sins and how we can get assurance of salvation. We should all look for answers to these questions. We are going to delve into these questions, but first, we’re going to look at three different alternatives regarding what kind of people God will save. The alternatives are as follows:
• ”God will save everyone”
• ”God won’t save anyone”
• ”God will save only some”
“God will save everyone”. There is a popular view in the Western countries these days that God will save everyone, despite how they lived and what they believed in. This view called Universalism has become more popular over the last decades.
That’s not what the Bible teaches, however. People with this Universalistic ideology have an imaginary god that is not recognized by the Bible. The Bible, on the other hand, very clearly teaches that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God. They will be left outside the gates.
- (1 Cor 6:9,10) Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortionists, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- (Luke 13:3) I tell you, No: but, except you repent, you shall all likewise perish.
- (Rev 22:15) For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and fornicators, and murderers, and idolaters, and whoever loves and makes a lie.
”God won’t save anyone”. Another option is that God is not going to save anyone, meaning that no one is given a chance at forgiveness and no one can get to heaven.
Luckily, this is not a Bible teaching either. The Bible does not teach that everyone would be left outside the gates of heaven.
“God will only save some”. The third alternative is that God will save some of us, and it is also what the Bible teaches. However, this does not mean that God doesn’t have the desire to save everyone. He truly wants that, but the problem is that people don’t want it. They are willingly rejecting God, which will prevent them from receiving salvation. God’s will to save people becomes clear from the following passages:
- (John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- (1 Tim 2:3,4) For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- (Luke 14:15-20) And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said to him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.
16 Then said he to him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said to him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray you have me excused.
19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray you have me excused.
20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
Then on to another point. If God saves people, how does He do it? There are usually two conceptions: based on acts or through grace.
Based on acts. Conception that God saves us based on our actions is highly common in religions. However, there is a major issue with this concept: our flawed nature. ” For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Rom 3:23). Sin works in our body, as written by Paul in the Romans (Romans chapter 7), and that is why we are so far away from perfection. Our actions won’t make us perfect of sinless. Because of our flaws, we also lack certainty of God’s acceptance. This is true in every religion, also in the kind of Christianity that hasn’t realized the grace of God. Paul Little tells his remarks:
The Muslims do not have an assurance of salvation either. I have often asked the Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists whether they are going to nirvana or heaven after they die. None of them has been able to give me a definitive answer. They have rather referred to the incompleteness of their life, which is an impediment in reaching this goal. (35)
Through grace. When we established that God wants to save people, but no one gets saved based on their actions, the only option left is that we can get saved through grace. This is, indeed, what the Bible and the New Testament teaches, and we can see that clearly in the following passages:
- (Eph 2:8-9) For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- (Eph 2:4,5) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together with Christ, by grace you are saved
- (Acts 15:11) But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
- (Rev 21:5,6) And he that sat on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said to me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to him that is thirsty of the fountain of the water of life freely.
- (Rev 22:17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that hears say, Come. And let him that is thirsty come. And whoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Why do we need Jesus?
John Hick: If Jesus of Nazareth truly was God turned into flesh, Christianity really is the only religion personally founded by God, and that is why it must be extraordinarily supreme over any other religion.
Moving on to the fundamental aspect of Christianity; Jesus Christ. Many ask, why do we need Jesus, but He is precisely the key to our salvation. Here’s why:
He is God that came from the heavens. There is one difference to what Jesus claimed about Himself and what other religious leaders have claimed about themselves. He said that He came from the heavens, meaning that He is from above, unlike any other leader. Buddha, Muhammad, and the followers of Jesus never claimed this about themselves, but Jesus was the only one who said His origin is different from anyone else:
- (John 8:23,24) And he said to them, You are from beneath; I am from above: you are of this world; I am not of this world.
24 I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sins.
- (John 8:56-59) Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57 Then said the Jews to him, You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?
58 Jesus said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the middle of them, and so passed by.
What about the accuracy of Jesus’ claims? No one usually denies the goodness of Jesus. His good nature is agreed by most people today, it was agreed by His followers and even by His enemies. Therefore, if God was perfectly good, but still claimed He had a heavenly and divine origin, wouldn’t it form an imminent conflict?
Not by any means. If what He claimed is true, there is no conflict. We should also remember that Jesus also said that He is the truth and that He speaks the truth. Thus, if He was perfectly good, as is believed, He probably didn’t lie about something so important as His origin and identity.
- (John 14:6) Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.
- (John 8:43-46) Why do you not understand my speech? even because you cannot hear my word.
44 You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stayed not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, you believe me not.
46 Which of you convinces me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do you not believe me?
Sins were atoned through Jesus Christ. As stated, many try to receive salvation through their own actions, but they’re not going to receive assurance of salvation that way. They won’t receive assurance, because everyone one of us is imperfect and sinful.
What is God’s solution to this problem? The answer is Jesus Christ, of course. He didn’t come here on earth for fun, since there was a purpose for everything. Hence, the Bible tells how Jesus first lived a perfect and sinless life. After that He became the sin offering and the replacement, who carried our sins to the cross. Sin that stands as an obstacle between us and God, was removed through Him. The Bible says that God was in the Christ and atoned the world with Himself. God did everything for us through Jesus Christ, because we wouldn’t be able to. The atonement, therefore, is similar to creation: they were both achieved by God:
- (2 Cor 5:18-20) And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses to them; and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be you reconciled to God.
- (1 John 4:9,10) In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
The Bible testifies that Jesus became to be the tool we need for salvation, like a lifeboat that anyone can get on in order to avoid hell and to receive forgiveness of sins. By believing and placing your faith in Him anyone can be saved, because Jesus came here to bridge the gap between us humans and God. The role of Jesus as the savior becomes clear from the following passages, for example:
- (Acts 16:30,31) And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house.
- (John 10:9) I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
- (John 14:6) Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.
What happens if you reject Jesus Christ as the bridge between you and God? In that case you will have to pay for your sins in hell. That is, when we stated that God doesn’t save everyone, the reason because people reject Jesus Christ and because they’re unwilling to turn to Him. They reject the bridge and lifeboat given to us by God, and therefore, must atone their sins in hell. Don’t turn your back on Jesus and the calling of God! Arthur W. Pink, a former puritan preacher, aptly explained how God offers His grace through His Son. This offering should not be disregarded.
If God offers you a Savior, who can save you from the punishment you deserve, and you do not accept Him, then surely it is justified that you are left without a savior. Or is God obliged to arrange another savior for you, since you don’t like this particular Savior? He has given an invaluable and honorable person, His only Son to be the atoning sacrifice for sins and so, completed salvation; and this Savior is being offered to you right now. If you refuse him, is God then unjust if He doesn’t save you. Is He obliged to save you in the way that you have chosen, only because you don’t like His way of saving? Or do you blame Christ for unfairness, when He doesn’t come to save you, when you don’t want Him, although He offers Himself to you and appeals to you that you would accept Him as your Savior.
The prayer of salvation. Lord, Jesus, I turn to You. I confess that I have sinned against You and have not lived according to Your will. However, I want to turn from my sins and follow You with all my heart. I also believe that my sins have been forgiven by Your atonement and I have received eternal life through You. I thank You for the salvation that You have given me. Amen.
1. John D. Barrow : Maailmankaikkeuden alku, p. 37
2. Same, p. 36-37
3. Andy Knoll (2004) PBS Nova interview, 3. 5. 2004, Cit. Antony Flew & Roy Varghese (2007) There is A God: How the World’s Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. New York: HarperOne
4. Darwin, F & Seward A. C. edit. (1903, 1: 184): More letters of Charles Darwin. 2 vols. London: John Murray.
5. Marvin L. Lubenow: Myytti apinaihmisestä (Bones of Contention), p. 257
6. Rodney Stark, p. 184
7. Christopher Booker: “The Evolution of a Theory”, The Star, Johannesburg, 20.4.1982, p. 19
8. Tri John Kitto kirjassa Encyclopedia of Biblical Literature, II, hakusana "Sabbath", p. 655
9. Aboriginal Astronomy, ABC Radio National, Okcham’s razor, broadcast Sunday 3 January 2010, 8:45am, transcript/audio via abc.net.au.
10. Steffens, M., Australia’s first astronomers, ABC Science, abc.net.au, 27 July 2009
11. E.V. Koskinen: Alusta loppuun, p. 12
12. Leanne Payne: Särkynyt minäkuva, p. 84, 85
13. Näky-lehti 4 / 2008, p. 10-12
14. J. Edwin Orr: 100 kysymystä Jumalasta (100 Questions about God), p. 59 - 60
15. Don Richardson: Iankaikkisuus heidän sydämissään, p. 96.
16. Raamatullinen aikakauskirja, p. 17
17. Kalle Taipale: Levoton maapallo, p. 78
18. Richard Wurmbrandt: Miksi uskon (The Answer to Moscow’s Bible), p. 52
19. George Mc Cready Price: New Geology, lainaus A.M Rehnwinkelin kirjasta Flood, p. 267, 278
20. Pekka Reinikainen: Darwin vai älykäs suunnitelma?, p. 88
21. Pekka Reinikainen: Dinosaurusten arvoitus ja Raamattu, p. 111
22. Francis Hitching: Arvoitukselliset tapahtumat (The World Atlas of Mysteries), p. 159
23. Pentti Eskola: Muuttuva maa, p. 366
24. Science, 3.3.1961, p. 624
25. P.J. Wiseman: New Discoveries in Babylonia About Genesis, 1949, p. 28.
26. Sit. kirjasta: "Oliko vedenpaisumus ja Nooan arkki mahdollinen?", Toivo Seljavaara, p. 6,7
27. Joseph P. Free: Archaeology and Bible history, 12. p. 1973 - Cit. from: "Voiko Raamattuun luottaa", Uuras Saarnivaara, p. 187.
28. Armas Salonen: Sumeri ja sen henkinen perintö (Keuruu 1962), p. 138,139.)
29. Thoralf Gilbrant: Ennustukset toteutuvat 4 (Tidens Tegn 4), p. 68
30. Science, 3.3.1961, p. 624
31. Geisler, N.L. ja Nix, W.E. A General Introduction to the Bible, Moody Press, Chicago, 1986)
32. Keith N. Schoville: "Biblical Archaeology in Focus" (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, 1978, p. 156)
33. Nelson Glueck: Rivers of the desert, 1959, p. 31
34. Lee Strobel: Tapaus Kristus (The Case for Christ), p. 132-134,136
35. Paul Little: Tiedä miksi uskot, p. 129
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life
Grap to eternal life!